As a country of Egypt, more than 50% of people are young generation. As we think about wikiâ€™s and ICT, we feel that we often donâ€™t know if we can lead the technology or does the technology lead us.
When we think about education, we donâ€™t know if better educations lead to innovation which leads to better technology or is it the other way around?
As an development country, is technology in classrooms, a luxury or a fundamental tool?
Education frameworks has lots of components – Environment, Administration, Tools, Curricula & Content, Assessment, Certification, Actors, Guardians, Recipients.
- Pre-industry age; We had One to One tutoring. Teacher is the sole service provider. There is a small group of students. The education at that time itâ€™s based on Memorizing – reciting and dictating.
- Industry age;Â
- Small group of different ages. Single teach that knows everything. Blackboard and chalk with eventual books. We had different issues – Teacher to student ratio, etc.
- New tools: Radio & TV. Broadcasting techniques. We can now reach great number of people and it opens up recipient area. Different types of certification emerges.
- Egypt – 40k schools with 16M students and 1.2M Teachers. Ministry of Education for central management.
- Internet age – Smart Schools Network. Introducing ICT in preparatory schools.
- Computer labs
- Teachers room
- Modern Classroom
- Teachers training
- Other: Multiplicity of sources of knowldege; Breaking the monopoly of the teachers; Virtual hands-on experience; Connecting Community; Partners: MoE, MCIT, Education Service Providers
- Web 2.0 age
- Egypt 2008 – 38 million Mobile users. 2200 IT-Clubs. 9.5 Million broadband users. Pc for All initiative. Arabic eContent Initiative.
- Lots of partners for Education, from international corporations to different NGOâ€™s and government services to help.
- Wiki paradigm: peering, sharing, mass collaboration, innovation, User generated content, Co-creation, Prosumers, Acting globally, Openness.
But the questions is – are Teachers, Institution, Business, Children, even Parents – Ready? And of course, whatâ€™s happening and whatâ€™s coming ahead for us?
Egyptian proverb – Teacher is like a prophet. But what happens now with the Internet generation?
- End of unified national curricula?
- New model for student assessment?
- What is the profile of the teacher under education 2.0, and 3.0?
- [..two more]
There are also issues of Internet Safety and Internet Security.